The requirements for Associate Active membership shall be:
- A license to practice medicine in his/her state, province or country. The applicant may be in government service not requiring licensure.
- Certification by an American Surgical Specialty Board (other than those listed in Article XIII, Section 3B) which is a member of the American Board of Medical Specialties and which is appropriate to the applicant’s specialty practice, or certification in gastroenterology by the American Board of Internal Medicine, or an appropriate equivalent specialty certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Documented experience in minimal access surgery (e.g. endoscopy, laparoscopy, thoracoscopy, robotics) in a surgical field other than gastrointestinal surgery, or documented recognition and expertise in advanced therapeutic gastroenterologic endoscopy, by an applicant dedicated to the goals and objectives of the Society.
- A letter from the Chief/Chair of Surgery/Gastroenterology of the applicant’s institution attesting to his/her competency in the field of minimal access surgery (If the applicant is Chief/Chair of Surgery/Gastroenterology, a letter from the Chief of Staff shall be appropriate), or a letter a physician familiar with the applicant’s practice. Applicants may be required to submit operative or endoscopic reports or other documentation to substantiate practice experience and skill as determined by the Membership Committee.
- Dues are $350 annually, with a one-time $100 application fee.
If you have any questions about membership in SAGES or which category you should apply to, please contact the Membership Department or call (310) 437-0544 x 110.