SAGES 2024 Annual Meeting Scientific Session Abstract Submission Information
SAGES 2024 Annual Meeting
April 17-20, 2024
Cleveland, OH, USA
Abstract submissions are now closed.
Acceptance Notifications were sent out on Friday, December 8, 2023. If you did not receive your acceptance notification, please check your spam/junk folder. If you still have not received the notification by Monday December 11, please email
You are invited to submit paper and video abstracts to the SAGES 2024 Scientific Session.
The program will consist of oral presentations, video presentations, and poster presentations. The program committee will be responsible for selecting the length of the oral and video presentations.
There is a 400 word limit for written abstract submissions and a 100 word limit for video abstract submissions. No reference to the authors or the institution should appear within the body of the abstract or in the abstract title.
SAGES will be accepting online submissions for oral, video or poster presentation. Topics include:
- Abdominal Wall Hernias
- Acute Care
- Artificial Intelligence
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Education / Simulation
- Flexible Endoscopy
- Global Surgery
- Image Guided Interventions (Including Combined Radiologic / Endoscopic / Surgical Procedures)
- Leadership & Professional Development
- Miscellaneous / Other
- New Technologies / Techniques
- Quality Improvement / Health System Outcomes
- Robotics / Advanced Technologies
Important Notice: The following Submission Policies will be firmly enforced:
- Previously Presented Abstracts/Videos: No abstracts/videos may be submitted that have been previously presented at a regional (Central Surgical, Southwest Surgical, etc.), national, or international meeting. Abstracts/Videos that have been presented locally (state ACS chapter meeting, institutional or departmental research day for example) will be considered. If the abstract/video has been previously presented locally, where and when it was presented must be disclosed during the abstract/video submission process.
- No Previously Published Submissions/No Submissions Under Consideration For Publication: The abstract/video submitted must present original work that has not and will not be published or presented prior to the 2024 SAGES Annual Meeting, and is not currently under review for publication. The exception to this rule is that a manuscript may be submitted to Surgical Endoscopy for special meeting related consideration only after the abstract/video has been accepted by SAGES for presentation. Manuscripts may not be submitted to any journals for consideration until after SAGES abstract/video acceptance notification, and if the abstract/video is selected for Oral Presentation, the Presenter is required to submit a complete manuscript to Surgical Endoscopy. If the manuscript has been submitted to any journal prior to SAGES abstract/video acceptance notifications, or if the manuscript is not submitted to Surgical Endoscopy as part of a Oral Presentation, the Abstract Submitter, Presenter and Senior Author will forfeit the privilege to submit, present, or be listed as an author on abstracts/videos for the 2025 and 2026 SAGES Annual Meetings. Abstracts/Videos selected for Oral presentation may not be moved to other forms of presentation to bypass the required submission of a manuscript to Surgical Endoscopy.
- No Dual Submissions: The abstract/video must not be submitted to any other upcoming regional, national, or international meeting.
- No Previously Presented Data: All abstracts/videos must be new and original content OR include at least 50% new data if previously presented at a meeting (unless presented locally as described above).
- Digital Poster Submission: If selected for a Poster Presentation, a digital version of the poster must be submitted.
- There is no limit to the number of abstracts/videos you may submit, but you may not submit a video abstract and a written abstract on the same study/data set. You must select either a written abstract submission or a video abstract submission.
- Manuscript Submission: Accepted Oral Abstract Presenters must submit a complete manuscript to Surgical Endoscopy.
- Abstracts/Videos can be edited until the submission site closes. After the submission site closes and the abstracts/videos go into review, the content of the abstracts/videos may not be edited in any way. Please make sure to proof read and double check your abstracts/videos before submission. In addition, SAGES cannot update the content/text of your abstract/video to include new/updated data after acceptance notifications, although you will be allowed to include these updated findings in your actual presentation.
- The word limit for written abstract submissions is 400-words (not including title and authors).
- Images are allowed with abstract submissions. Images must be no larger than 1MB in file size, and no larger than 900 pixels wide by 900 pixels high.
- Tables may be included in the abstract submission but will go against the abstract's 400-word limit.
- Videos may not be submitted with a written abstract
- The Maximum length for submitted videos is Seven (7) Minutes. SAGES is not accepting 3D Video submissions. If your video is accepted for presentation at the 2024 SAGES meeting, you will be required to bring a final copy of your video with you to the meeting.
- A short (100-word maximum) written description of your video should be included when submitting your video abstract.
- Images and tables should not be included in the short written description when submitting a video abstract.
- Videos must have narration in English. Without narration, it will not be considered.
- Videos may not include advertisement or promotion of products.
- DO NOT include any music and DO NOT include any video clips or other materials/media copyrighted by any entity other than yourself
SAGES Emerging Technology Abstract SubmissionsAbstract submissions for SAGES’s Emerging Technology Session will be opening in Mid-October 2023. More information is available at: https://www.sages.org/meetings/etabstracts/
Resident and Fellow Training Committee Contest and AwardsThe Resident and Fellow Training Committee (RAFT) offers two awards for outstanding abstracts/videos presented by Surgical Residents and Fellows at the SAGES 2024 Annual Meeting. The purpose of these awards is to encourage the development of clinical and research-oriented work in the field of general surgery.
To qualify for these awards, the abstract/video presenter must be enrolled in a qualified residency or fellowship program. During the abstract/video submission process you must fill out the anticipated Residency/Fellowship completion date. Abstracts/Videos that do not include the anticipated Residency/Fellowship completion date during the time of submission will not be considered for these awards.
SAGES Policy on Owner/Employee of Ineligible CompaniesThe ACCME states 'the owners and employees of ineligible companies are considered to have unresolvable financial relationships and must be excluded from participating as planners or faculty, and must not be allowed to influence or control any aspect of the planning, delivery, or evaluation of accredited continuing education, except in the limited circumstances outlined in Standard 3.2.' Therefore, the SAGES Conflict of Interest Committee (CIC) declares that no employees/owners of an ineligible company may present in SAGES CME accredited sessions. This policy is applicable to abstract/video authors and presenters.
Click here to view the ACCME’s definition of ineligible company, owner and employee.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions regarding SAGES Policy on Owner/Employee of Ineligible Companies.
If you have any questions, please contact the SAGES office at 310-437-0544 ext. 118 or email: [email protected] Sincerely,
Eric M. Pauli, MD, Program Co-Chair
Marylise Boutros, MD, FRCS, Program Co-Chair
Caitlin A. Halbert, DO, MS, FACS, Program Co-Chair