- This award is designated for young member of SAGES who is currently in a residency or fellowship program (up to the time of the selection process – fall of the year preceding the award).
- We are looking for in-continuity or max of two (2) years* between residency and fellowship training (e.g. some time off for family reasons or a time in private practice and reentering a fellowship to make a course change). *Special consideration is given if lapsed time due to military service.
- The criteria for this award include a member who shows great promise for a career in academic GI/endoscopic practice or potential for significant contributions to the advancement of minimally invasive or endoscopic surgery.
- A letter from a Program Director is required, confirming current resident or fellow status. Must also include an abbreviated CV of applicant.
- Nominations may come from SAGES Leadership only (not full membership) and/or Program Directors.
- Past winners include:
Erica Moran, MD (2010); Rebecca Petersen, MD (2011); Dana Telem, MD (2012); Lawrence Lee, MD (2013); Ezra Teitelbaum, MD (2014); Edward Jones, MD (2015); Rebeccah Baucom, MD (2016); Yalini Vigneswaran, MD (2017); Maria Altieri, MD (2018); Philip Pucher, MD & Amin Madani, MD (2019); Joshua Weis, MD & Daniel Hashimoto, MD (2020)
Special note: If you have nominated someone in the past for the Researcher in Training Award and would like him or her considered again this year, you MUST re-submit a nomination form.
The Award is available for a SAGES Candidate or Active member (or applicant) currently in a residency or fellowship program. The deadline to submit for 2021 awards is October 30, 2020.
You must be a SAGES member and logged in to fill out this application