Established in 2019! This award is given in honor and memory of Barbara Berci, SAGES Executive Director from 1984-1998, in recognition of the passion, dedication, energy, and vision that she brought to the SAGES organization and its management. The award also recognizes her commitment to resolving social injustices and developing opportunities for young SAGES members.
- The award is designated for a surgeon who is a SAGES Candidate or Full Active member within 7 years of completion of training, or who is in a Fellowship Council or ACGME approved fellowship program in the field.
- The purpose of this award is to accelerate leadership growth and career development of young surgeons nationally and within SAGES.
- The award supports attendance at a designated leadership course (such as the ACS Surgeons as Leaders course, SUS Leadership Agility Program, or other approved courses) to challenge thought processes and optimize leadership skills to effect change in the surgical world.
- The awardee(s) will participate in a longitudinal mentorship program with a current SAGES leader who is a Committee Chair and/or Board Member.
- The awardee(s) will be expected to complete a project or initiate an ongoing project during the year mutually agreed upon by the SAGES Executive Committee, Mentor, and Mentee.
SAGES mentor and project plan: Awardee must identify in advance potential mentor – SAGES leader (Committee Chair and/or Board Member) – who will serve as their mentor for the duration of the award. (Applicants require letter of support from proposed mentor.) The awardee(s) will select a project in conjunction with the mentor, considering the awardees’ application proposed plan for the award, that may be either an ongoing SAGES committee project or de novo project which is subject to review and approval by the SAGES Executive committee. The awardee(s) will present the results of the project and a summary of activity for the year to the SAGES Board and will submit a written report to the SAGES Education and Research Foundation. The awardee(s) will be appointed to the committee which oversees the planned area of work. It is expected that the awardee and mentor will have regular communication regarding their project and other aspects of their professional and SAGES career development.
- The scholarship will provide for the expenses (i.e. room/board, transportation, tuition costs) for the leadership course up to $3,000, as well as travel to the SAGES annual meeting (registration and 2 hotel nights if not already entitled to those comps) for the year of the award. Expenses beyond these should be covered by the awardee’s department/institution.
- The winner will be chosen by the SAGES Awards Committee based on merit and leadership potential. The Applicant must submit the following:
- Letter of support from the applicant’s department chair (or Program Director if fellow)
- Letter of support from proposed mentor
- Current abbreviated CV
- Inaugural winner: Sara Hennessy, MD (2020)
The applicant must be a SAGES Candidate or Full Active member; a surgeon who is within 7 years of completion of training, or currently in a Fellowship Council or ACGME fellowship. The deadline to submit for 2021 awards is October 30, 2020.
You must be logged in to use this form.