- Improving educational opportunities for Under Represented minorities in Medicine (URiM) candidates at all levels
- Addressing barriers to care that result in decreased entry to screening or treatments
- Improving access to advanced technologies
- Other actions that address inequities of race, gender, culture, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability
Nominees should have a track record of creating significant impact or have a history of consistent effort over a sustained period of time. This is a service award rather than an award for academic achievement. The award includes travel to the annual meeting and 2 nights of accommodations. Nominations may come from any SAGES member.
Nomination process – The nominator must submit:
- Contact information of the nominee including telephone numbers and email.
- Up to 500 word essay why the award is deserved
- Relevant news stories, web based materials
- Contact information for other references (optional)
This Award is available to an Active or Candidate member of SAGES and, in special cases, non-members who interface with surgeons and contribute to their teams or the communities where they live.