The requirements for candidate membership status shall be:
- Graduation from a medical school acceptable to SAGES.
- Current status as either:
- A resident or fellow enrolled in an accredited program of surgical education or research.
- A surgeon who has completed an accredited surgical education program and is awaiting Board certification.
- A letter from the Program Director of the applicant’s institution attesting to enrollment in or completion of a surgical education program.
- A letter of sponsorship from a current SAGES member.
- A copy of your medical license (if applicable).
If license is not yet available, the program directors letter will stand in its place.
- Dues are $70 annually, with payment of the first year due upon submission of the membership application.
Candidate status may continue for up to three years following completion of a general surgery residency or until Board certification is attained and training is completed, whichever is first.
Candidate Members in good standing who obtain certification by the American Board of Surgery, the American Board of Osteopathic Surgery, the Royal College of Surgeons, Canada, or become a fellow of the American College of Surgery shall automatically be inducted to active membership upon providing evidence satisfactory to the Society.
SAGES has special applications procedures for programs that are signing up multiple new members at one time, which can streamline the process.Â Â Program Directors and Coordinators are invited to contact us for more information.
If you have any questions about membership in SAGES or which category you should apply to, please contact the Membership Department or call (310) 437-0544 x 110.
Download Printable Application
The first year’s dues ($70) must be paid at the time of submission.