Fundamentals of Leadership Development (FLD) is designed to teach surgical leaders how to build equitable excellence in academic surgery.
It is intended for attending surgeons currently in a leadership role or looking to develop skills that will make them successful leaders.
The curriculum invites you to reflect on your leadership style, strengths, areas of improvement, while helping develop necessary skills to help surgeons succeed as clinicians, educators, and administrators. The course builds foundations for mentorship/sponsorship, navigating healthcare equity, and conflict resolution. At the end of the course, participants should be able to takeaway specific action items to successfully lead diverse, innovative, clinical and administrative teams to influence and negotiate for needed changes on a system level.
FLD is sponsored by both SAGES and ACS. As such, the course is collecting information from participants about leadership curriculums and its impact to better inform future courses. Several short surveys will be administered to participants before and after the course.
PLEASE READ THIS IN ITS ENTIRETY AS IT WILL INCLUDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE COURSE.
- Describe your own leadership style, strengths, areas of improvement, and conflict management styles.
- Apply and integrate principles of mentorship/sponsorship to build equitable practices for surgical recruiting and retention.
- Create diversity in surgical leadership and opportunities for URiM in Surgery.
- Describe healthcare inequities and provide specific action plans to impact patient care on a micro and macro level.
The course is comprised of three components:
- 10 Online Modules (45-min each) to be completed prior to the start of the in person didactic course
- Online Discussion forum to engage in real time with content and other course participants
- Small group problem-based didactic course for discussions of real life leadership scenarios (In person at SAGES)
IN PERSON ONLY AT SAGES 2024 in Cleveland, Ohio on Monday, April 15, 2024 from 11am-6pm (6-hours)
The cost of the course is $250 for attending surgeons, paid at the time of registration. This course will be capped at the first 50 registrants, with a wait list after the first 50.
At the end of the course, participants will receive both:
Certificate for Fundamentals of Leadership Development Certificate of CME participation (upwards of 14 hours)
If the following requirements are met:
- Completion of knowledge checks in the online modules
- Completion and participation at the 6 hour in person course at SAGES 2024 in Cleveland, Ohio on Monday April 15, 2024 from 11am-6pm (There will be NO virtual option available for this portion of the course)
- Completion of surveys before and after the course.
Accreditation and Designation Statement
The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) designates this other [live and enduring] activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. A maximum of 8 credits will be awarded for the online modules (based on time spent in modules) and 6 credits will be awarded for the in person discussion sessions.
American Board of Surgery (ABS) Continuous Certification Program
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the facilitated small group problem-based learning scenarios component, enables the learner to earn credit toward the CME and Self-Assessment requirements of the American Board of Surgery’s Continuous Certification program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit learner completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABS credit.
Register to take this course!
Sign up by completing the form below: