Adel Alhaj Saleh, MD, MRCS, Amir H Aryaie, MD, FACS. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- A 27 year-old female (BMI of 51 kg/m2 ) came to us for prophylactic total gastrectomy after seeing her genetic counselor as she has CDH1 gene mutation
- She underwent preoperative evaluation including EGD with random biopsies, no gross or microscopic evidence of cancer was seen.
- Morbid obesity (BMI 51 kg/m2)
The patient was then planned to
- Laparoscopic total gastrectomy with Roux-en-Y esophagojejunostomy with D1 lymphadenectomy
- POD #1 UGI showed no leak
- Discharged after an uneventful postoperative recovery on POD #3 tolerating post-bariatric diet.
- 2 and 6-week clinic follow up – no nausea/vomiting/food intolerance
- Prophylactic laparoscopic total gastrectomy with D1 lymphadenectomy is a safe and feasible option for eliminating the risk of gastric cancer in CDH1 mutation
Presented at the SAGES 2017 Annual Meeting in Houston, TX.
Abstract ID: 96045
Program Number: V368
Presentation Session: Video Loop Day 4
Presentation Type: VideoLoop