Erin M Thompson, MD, John Romanelli, MD. Baystate Medical Center
Injuries from unintentional ingestion of wire grill-cleaning brush bristles have been increasingly reported in the literature over the past decade. Although a special report was published by the CDC in 2012 warning of this pattern of injury, case reports continue to appear in both the medical literature and the mainstream media. Widespread awareness of this grilling hazard is needed for both prevention and prompt diagnosis of these injuries. Here, we present a case of jejunal perforation from a wire grill-cleaning brush bristle repaired laparoscopically, as well as a review of the diagnosis and management of these injuries.
Presented at the SAGES 2017 Annual Meeting in Houston, TX.
Abstract ID: 91791
Program Number: V317
Presentation Session: Video Loop Day 3
Presentation Type: VideoLoop