Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) is a major cause of death in the world given its relation to kidney failure, blindness, amputations, heart attack and others as erectlie dysfunction, diarrhea and gastroparesis . Medical therapy for this disease has advanced considerably but still leaves a majority of patients susceptible to its severe effects. While new drug therapies continue to improve medical therapy for this disease, a majority never reach the defined targets for success .
Results following bariatric surgery
Potential mechanisms for glycemic control
Recent human reports
2) Pories WJ, MacDonald KG, Morgan EJ, e cols.. Surgical treatment of obesity and its effect on diabetes: 10-y follow-up. Am J Clin Nutr 1992; 55 (2 Suppl): 582S–585S.
3) Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, et al. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2004;292:1724 –37.
4) Pories WJ, Swanson MS, MacDonald KG, et al. Who would have thought it? An operation proves to be the most effective therapy for adult-onset diabetes mellitus. Ann Surg 1995;222:339 –52
5) Cohen R, Pinheiro JS, Correa JL, Schiavon CA. Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for BMI <35 kg/m2: a tailored approach Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 2006; 2 : 401-404
6) Cummings DE, Overduin J, Foster-Shubert KE, Carlson M – Role of the bypassed proximal intestine in the antidiabetic effects of bariatric surgery. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 3 (2007) 109–115
7) Rubino F, Forgione A, Cummings DE, et al. The mechanism of diabetes control after gastrointestinal bypass surgery reveals a role of the proximal 97 small intestine in the pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes. Ann Surg 2006;244:741–9.
8) Strader AD, Vahl TP, Jandacek RJ, Woods SC, D’Alessio DA, Seeley RJ. Weight loss through ileal transposition is accompanied by increased ileal hormone secretion and synthesis in rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2005;288:E447–53.
9) Cohen R, Schiavon CA, Pinheiro JC, Correa JL, Rubino F. Duodenaljejunal bypass for the treatment of type 2 diabetes in patients with body mass index of 22–34 kg/m2: a report of 2 cases. Surg ObesRelat Dis 2007;3: 195-197.
10)de Paula AL, Macedo AL, Prudente AS, Queiroz L, Schraibman V,Pinus J. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy with ileal interposition (“neuroendocrine brake”) – pilot study of a new operation. Surg ObesRelat Dis 2006;2:464- 467