Ahmed M Makki, MSc, Surgery, FRCS, Assistant, Profes, Adnan A Merdad, Professo, of, Surgery FRCS, FACS, Sami S Judeeba, MBBS Teaching, Assistant
Department of Surgery,Medical College King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah Saudi Arabia
Key words :
Right iliac fossa pain
Alvarado scoring system
Acute appendicitis is the most common surgical emergency that necessitates clinical skills & laboratory work up. Alvarado scoring system is used for diagnosis of appendicitis . Validity of Alvarado scoring system was studied with good evidence of high diagnostic value[2-4] . The most popular scoring system which combine clinical picture with lab. Investigations is Alvarado scoring system which comprises 8 factors ,each factor scores 1 point except for tenderness & leucocytes which score 2 points.[1,5].
It is a prospective study for all patients admitted in KAUH complaining of lower abdominal pain ,suspecting acute appendicitis . We are going to score each patient according to Alvarado system in addition to C-reactive protein in serum & age of the patient.
Assessment of the accuracy of these indices for all patients either subjected to operation or patients who received conservative treatment. Supplementary radiological investigations are also evaluated .
1. Alvarado A. A practical score for the early diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Ann Emerg Med 1986; 15: 557-564.
2. Crnogorac S, Lovrenski J. Validation of the Alvarado score in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. Med Pregl 2001 Nov-Dec; 54(11-12):557-61.
3. Ricci MA, Trevisani MF, Beck WC. Acute appendicitis.A five year review. Am Surg 1991;57:301-5.
4. Maxwell JM, Ragland JJ. Appendicitis. Improvements in diagnosis and treatment. Am Surg.1991 May;57(5):282–285.
5. Chan M Y P, Teo B S, Ng B L. The Alvarado score and acute appendicitis. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2001; 30:510-2.
Session: Poster Presentation
Program Number: P630