Evaluating the Informed Consent Performed By Residents for Endoscopic Procedures

William W Hope, MD, W. Borden Hooks, MD, Cyrus A Kotwall, MD, Thomas V Clancy, MD. New Hanover Regional Medical Center


The informed consent may be one of the most important dialogues that a surgeon has with the patient. Despite its importance, it is something that is not well taught or stressed in residency training. The purpose of this project was to evaluate the patient’s impression of the informed consent given by surgical residents for endoscopic procedures.
Patients in the surgical resident clinic were asked to take part in a study evaluating the resident’s ability in performing the informed consent. A questionnaire was given to all consenting patients asking about the thoroughness and appropriateness of the consent highlighting specific complications relating to endoscopic procedures. An overall impression and additional comments were also solicited. The questionnaire was given by one surgical faculty that periodically covers the clinic and the residents were blinded to this process
Twenty nine patients consented to evaluating the informed consent given by residents. Residents in all levels (1-5) of training were evaluated with 3rd year residents being the most common at 35%. In 97% of cases the patient stated the resident adequately explained the procedure to them and in only 4% had additional questions for the attending. In 90% of the time, the patient stated that the resident explained about the possibility of perforation and in 86% of the time the resident fully explained the implication of this complication. In 86% of the patients, the resident explained the potential for bleeding complications. In 93% of the patients, the resident discussed the benefits of the procedure and in 69% the alternatives to the procedure. Residents got an overall grade of excellent by 79% of patients and good in the remaining 21%.
Overall, patients are well pleased with the informed consent given by residents for endoscopic procedures. In the vast majority of patients, an appropriate consent relating to endoscopic procedure was given to the patient and able to be understood.

Session Number: Poster – Poster Presentations
Program Number: P141
View Poster

« Return to SAGES 2012 abstract archive

Reset A Lost Password