There is an immediate opening for one fellowship position in Bariatric and MIS surgery for the year 2019-2020 to start on August 1, 2019.
Applications will be processed in the order they are received, and face-face interviews will be required. This is one of two positions that we offer through the MIS Fellowship Council to applicants who are interested in MIS and bariatric surgery. We require a full and unrestricted Florida License.
This is a newly established fellowship program in a large and progressive health system in Tampa. The program faculty (Dr Murr and Dr Gonzalvo) have previously administered an accredited fellowship program at another Tampa Hospital that graduated 30 fellows. The program has been a resource for graduated fellows, local surgeons and bariatric patients. Previous fellows have received ASMBS research grants in 2008 and 2016 to study resolution of diabetes and NASH after bariatric surgery.
This fellowship provides comprehensive training in the surgical management of the metabolic syndrome. We expect our surgical volume to exceed 300 index cases with a mix of primary and revisional bariatric operations; primary operations are 55% gastric bypass and 45% gastric sleeve and 10-20% of the total volume is revisional cases. The overall experience will be 40% laparoscopic and 60% robotic. A large component of cases includes non-bariatric MIS cases, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy.
Fellows will be the ‘primary surgeon’ on all procedures and will be caring for patients as ‘junior attendings’. We follow a Halstedian model of apprenticeship; fellows will rotate with one of the three Attendings to hone specific skills and to master advanced techniques of surgery while following standardized order sets and clinical pathways. The Fellows are on HOME call and do not cross-cover any other services.
The fellowship is housed in the Bariatric and Metabolic Institute at AdventHealth Tampa in an inter-disciplinary environment that enhances training of Fellows in leadership skills, business development and communication skills.
The three faculty (Drs. Murr, Dietrick and Gonzalvo) are embedded in the Tampa community and have extensive experience of >7,500 bariatric procedures in addition to MIS, laparoscopic, robotic and endoscopic procedures.