Welcome! SAGES is excited to offer the Fundamentals of Leadership Development (FLD) in person during SAGES 2023 in Montreal on Saturday, April 1, 2023.
SAGES developed the program with support from the American College of Surgeons for future leaders in surgery. The course is intended for surgeons just starting in a leadership role and surgeons envisioning a future leadership role. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRETY OF THIS AS IT WILL INCLUDE IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE COURSE.
The curriculum invites you to reflect on your leadership style, the strength and ‘areas under development’ you bring to your current or future position, to caring for diverse patient populations and to negotiations for change. Building on the reflection, the program guides you to develop action items to successfully lead diverse, innovative, clinical and administrative teams to influence and negotiate for needed changes on a system level.
- Discuss why Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) is integral to surgical leadership
- Apply and integrate principles of DEI into team and leadership dynamics
- Create diversity in surgical leadership and opportunities for URiM in Surgery
- Describe factors contributing healthcare equity in surgical healthcare systems
- Use negotiation strategies/conflict mediation to address common DEI issues
The program includes three separate components:
- Online modules though SAGES new online web learning platform (OWLS) will feature interactive pre-course preparation content to be done PRIOR to the in person portion (8-hours)
- Online discussion forum between participants to engage in the material
- Facilitated small group problem-based learning of real life leadership scenarios IN PERSON ONLY AT SAGES 2023 in Montreal on April 1, 2023 from 8am-3pm (6-hours)
The cost of the course is $100 for attending surgeons and $50 for residents/fellows, paid at the time of registration. This course will be capped at the first 50 registrants, with a wait list after the first 50.
SAGES and ACS are researching curriculum development and participants will be expected to fill out pre and post course surveys. Several short surveys will be administered to better understand the impact of the course on leadership development and DEI as well as course content and formatting.
At the end of the course, participants will receive a Certificate for Fundamentals of Leadership Development and CME only if the following requirements are met:
- Completion of the online modules and quizzes
- Completion and participation at the 6 hour in person course at SAGES 2023 in Montreal on Saturday April 1, 2023 from 8am-3pm. There will be NO virtual option available for this portion of the course.
- Completion of surveys before and after the course.
Accreditation and Designation Statement
The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) designates this other [live and enduring] activity for a maximum of 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
American Board of Surgery (ABS) Continuous Certification Program
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the facilitated small group problem-based learning scenarios component, enables the learner to earn credit toward the CME and Self-Assessment requirements of the American Board of Surgery’s Continuous Certification program. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit learner completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABS credit.
Sorry. This form is no longer available.