2020-2021 SAGES Fellowship Certification Application now open through July 31, 2021
The SAGES Fellowship Certificate is intended to verify that fellows have successfully completed their training and are exemplary general surgeons with special qualifications in either Advanced GI MIS, Flexible Endoscopy, or both. In addition, this certification markets their advanced training and skills to patients, hospitals, and referring physicians.
Applicants will have one year – from the end of their fellowship or from Board Certification, whichever comes first – to complete the application. Fellows need to have completed training in an Advanced GI MIS and/or Flexible Endoscopy fellowship (can be dual or multiple designated programs) in order to apply for the certificate program.
[note: Bariatric and Foregut Fellowship are not eligible for this certification unless they are ALSO designated as an Advanced GI MIS and/or Flexible Endoscopy]
Application Fee: $100
CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENT by July 31, 2022:
- SAGES Membership: Fellows are encouraged to become part of the SAGES community of advanced MIS and endoscopic surgeons, and Active Membership in SAGES is required for the certificate program. If not already a member, we invite you to join SAGES now as a Candidate Member. Upon completion of fellowship, you can upgrade to Active Membership with a discounted fee of $150. This discount applies to an upgrade only and is not available to first time applicants to Active SAGES Membership. Members also receive discounted registration for the SAGES annual meeting.
- Defined category cases (mandatory):
- Advanced GI MIS Fellowship: SAGES requires applicants to adopt the new Advanced GI MIS Fellowship accreditation criteria which the Fellowship Council mandates starting this academic year. To adhere to the criteria, applicants are expected to obtain 150 Total Complex MIS Cases, with a minimum of the following defined category cases: Foregut (20), Bariatric (25), Inguinal Hernia (10), Ventral Hernia (10), Additional Complex MIS Cases (85).
- Flexible Endoscopy Fellowship: 50 Total Upper or Lower Endoscopies: can be diagnostic or therapeutic, Endoscopies performed as part of a logged MIS case (e.g. EGD performed during fundoplication) will count for endoscopy credit.
- Advanced GI MIS and Flexible Endoscopy Fellowship: both #1 & #2 Fellowship cases numbers
- Submit an Abstract to a major meeting during fellowship
- FLS, FES and FUSE certification (all three are mandatory). Note: due to COVID-19, SAGES has now made the FUSE exam with Online Proctoring (OLP) available to all https://www.fuseprogram.org/testing-information/remote-testing/.
- Attend a major meeting in person or virtually: All fellows are encouraged to attend the SAGES 2021 Annual Meeting on August 31-Sept.3, 2021 in Las Vegas, NV. Proof of SAGES meeting registration can count towards this requirement.
Application reviews will take place in November 2021, February 2022 and August 2022. For additional questions, please email Vanessa Cheung
Michael Awad, MD, PhD, FACS
Chair, SAGES Resident and Fellowship Training Committee
Denise Gee, MD, FACS
Co-Chair, SAGES Resident and Fellowship Training Committee
RECIPIENTS OF THE FELLOWSHIP CERTIFICATION PROGRAM, click here