We welcome you to the leadership level of what you already know is a dynamic, innovative and forward-thinking society. We take great pride in the accomplishments of SAGES, and in the volunteer leaders and committee members that make those accomplishments possible.
This site is designed to “get you up to speed” as a committee Chair/Co-Chair. We urge you to review each and every link. The more educated you become regarding the functions and structure of the Society, the more effective you will be as a Chair/Co-Chair.
There are a few CRITICAL responsibilities incumbent upon you as a Chair/Co-Chair:
- Remain in regular contact with the Executive Committee member overseeing your committee. A link to the oversight chart is below. You will receive formal reminders to debrief your Exec contact on your committee’s activities during summer months, at ACS, in January, and at SAGES. However, you should use this relationship as an on-going sounding board to discuss significant new or proposed projects and/or outside partnerships as they arise.
- Partner with your SAGES Staffer(s). The staff liaison on your committee can be an invaluable resource. As a trained project manager, s/he will help manage schedules, workflow and committee members in their tasks and projects. Staffers handle the logistics of meetings, help prepare agendas, and can coordinate efforts internally and with other committees and outside vendors as needed. If you or your Staff member is new, please take a moment to get to know each other and to discuss preferred ways of working together (e.g. status updates, regular check in meetings, best times/ways to reach you, etc.).
- Please follow the SAGES Travel and Reimbursement policy, which is linked below. We are a lean organization and we appreciate your help in keeping SAGES fiscally responsible.
- Even if surplus budget remains, please seek approval of major new initiatives or significant changes in projects/goals through the proper channels. Your Exec Committee Contact can advise on the appropriate next steps.
- Support the SAGES Foundation!
- Take the FUSE Exam.
- Committee Chairs are asked to report to the SAGES Board on Wednesday of the annual meeting week, and in mid November during SAGES freestanding Board meeting. More information will be sent to you via email if applicable.
Please mark your calendar now for the SAGES Committee Meetings at ACS from October 27-29, 2019 in San Francisco, CA. The date and time of your meeting will be sent to you via email.
Your knowledge, experience and commitment to SAGES are some of the attributes that led to your selection as Committee Chair/Co-Chair. For those same reasons, we look forward to all that your committee will accomplish under your leadership.
On behalf of the SAGES family, THANK YOU!
The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) Overall Mission and Background
SAGES, the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons, was founded in 1981 with the mission of improving quality patient care through education, research, innovation and leadership, principally in gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgery.
Representing a worldwide community of more than 6,000 surgeons, SAGES seeks to bring excellence in and access to minimally invasive surgery (MIS) and emerging techniques to patients around the globe.
The SAGES Education & Research Foundation
The SAGES Education & Research Foundation was created with the vision of a healthcare world in which all operative procedures are accomplished with the least possible physical trauma, discomfort, and loss of productive time for the patient. The SAGES Foundation achieves its mission by supporting reproducible scientific research, graduate and postgraduate education, and public information. For information, visit www.sagesfoundation.org.
Surgical Endoscopy is the official journal of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES). Surgical Endoscopy represents the surgical aspects of interventional endoscopy, ultrasound, and other techniques in the fields of gastroenterology, obstetrics, gynecology, and urology, as well as in gastroenterologic, thoracic, traumatic, orthopedic, and pediatric surgery. It offers a worldwide forum for discussion of aspects of interventional endoscopy and ultrasound as integral elements of surgical practice. It also affords the international surgical community a focal point for the exchange of information on practice, theory, and research in various medical and surgical disciplines. EAES (Our European sister society) is our partner in the journal, and Springer Nature is our publisher. For more information, visit www.sages.org/publications/journals.
SAGES Staff Contact List
- Carrie Ahern
Annual Meeting Program, Faculty, Registrar and Housing
- Deborah Beck
Fundamentals Test Center On-Boarding
- Dan Berlant
- Dee Berry
Membership Coordinator, Committee staffer for Membership Committee and Community Practice Task Force
- Shauna Bostian
SAGES Librarian, Committee staffer for Guidelines Committee
- Inga Brissman
Committee staffer for FLS Committee
- Carla Bryant
Membership Director, Committee staffer for Membership Committee and Community Practice Task Force
- Melanie Camero
- Brenda Castaneda
Hands On Course Coordinator, Committee staffer for Resident and Fellow Training Committee
- Vanessa Cheung
Senior Administrative Coordinator
- Sarah Colon
Fundamentals Coordinator, Test Center Manager, Committee Staffer for FUSE
- Loryn Dager
IT and Abstracts Assistant
- Dale Dullabaun
- Lauren Frankel
Fundamentals Coordinator, Committee staffer for Hernia Task Force, and Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Committee
- Michelle Freeland
Senior Annual Meeting Planner
- Shelley Ginsberg
Development Director, Committee staffer for Advocacy and Health Policy Committee, Alternative Funding Task Force, and Development Committee
- Marissa de Guzman
- Melody Jacobs
Committee staffer for Continuing Education
- Lindsay Jacoby
- Robyann Jumaoas
Committee staffer for Research and Career Development Committee and Pediatric Liaison Group
- Jillian Kelly
Meetings and Committees Coordinator, Committee staffer for Artificial Intelligence Task Force, Awards Committee, Robotics Committee, and We R SAGES Task Force
- Evelyn Klass-Rodewald
- Jason Levine
IT Director, Webmaster, Committee staffer for Communications Committee, and Facebook Task Force
- Cristian Madera
Committee staffer for Global Affairs Committee
- Sallie Matthews
Executive Director, Committee staffer for Bylaws Committee, Finance Committee, Nominating Committee, Program Committee, and new projects
- Shannon Melton
Marketing and Public Relations, Committee staffer for Communications Committee, and Facebook Task Force
- Christelle Menetrier
Fundamentals Coordinator of International Projects
- Jessica Mischna
Fundamentals Director, Committee staffer for FES Committee
- Betty Mulugeta
Annual Meeting Learning Center, Mini-Med School, Committee staffer for Flexible Endoscopy Committee, Foregut Task Force, and HPB/Solid Organ Task Force
- Jacqueline Narvaez
Committee staffer for Global Affairs Committee
- Mariamu Osumah
- Ashley Pellegrini
- Vanessa Pryor
Fundamentals IT Project Manager
- Suzanne Quon
Committee staffer for Acute Care Surgery Task Force, Education Council, and Technology and Value Assessment Committee
- Alondra Renteria
- Roland Ronquillo
Accounting and Membership
- Ed Rosado
IT Project Manager, Annual Meeting IT and AV, Committee staffer for Educational Resources Committee, Military Committee, and Publications Committee
- Linda Schultz
Associate Executive Director, Committee staffer for Education Council and Resident and Fellow Training Committee
- Erin Schwarz
CME Consultant, ADOPT Hands On Course Coordinator, Committee staffer for Colorectal Task Force, Conflict of Interest Task Force, Continuing Education Committee, and Quality, Outcomes, Safety Committee
- Brian Tolman
- Nicole Von Husen
Hands On Course Lead, Committee staffer for Ethics Committee, and Oncology Task Force
- Anna Wick