To promote global collaboration and exchange of knowledge to optimize patient care.
- Interact, foster, and collaborate with national, regional societies.
- Branding SAGES internationally
- Encourage global collaboration in research, education, and innovation
Since its founding in 2006, SAGES Go Global has:
- Held over 21 International Proctoring Courses (IPCs).
- Collectively these sites have performed over 4,000 basic laparoscopic cases making the majority of the sites not only self-sustainable but a model for duplicating training efforts that expand across each country.
- Conducted an annual webcast from the SAGES Congress and broadcast content to over 35 countries internationally in areas such as Peru, the Philippines and Tanzania.
- Partnered with the U.S. Armed Forces and Royal Armed Forces to broadcast meeting content into remote locations in Iraq and Afghanistan thathas engaged over 8,000 surgeons worldwide.
- Added telementoring to the IPC curriculum in 2009 as a means of expanding educational efforts and to enhance sustainability. The Haiti Telementoring Lecture Series pilot launch was conducted in March of 2014.
- Provided “Best International Paper Awards” which are travel grants that allow for international presenters to participate in SAGES at the annual congress, in hands-on courses, and as a member.
- Piloted a Train the Trainers course in Mongolia in 2013, led by Drs .Raymond Price and Mike Marohn, to assist local faculty with developing training techniques. In partnership with the Swanson Foundation, the Ministry of Health, and the Mongolia Surgical Society, this program has now reached over 4,000 laparoscopic cases performed A Train the Trainers Course was also officially launched in June of 2014 in Argentina.
- Launched the Academic Exchange program fall 2014, an observership exchange program with the Chinese Medical Association (CMA).
- In 2015, to further the Global mission, will introduce an IPC – Flexible Endoscopy curriculum.
For more information or to get involved, please contact Jacqueline@sages.org.
SAGES gratefully acknowledges the following companies for their unrestricted support towards the SAGES International Proctoring Courses (IPC), a SAGES Global Affairs Initiative:
SAGES gratefully acknowledges the following companies and individuals for their unrestricted contribution in kind:
Karl Storz Endoscopy
Swanson Family Foundation
2015 SAGES Best International Paper Winners
1. Patricio Cal, MD- Argentina
2. Shuji Saito, MD- Japan
3. Yusuke Watanabe, MD- Canada
4. Sang Hoon Ahn, MD, PhD- South Korea
5. Elie K. Chouillard, MD, PhD- France
SAGES Global Laparoscopy and Endoscopy Education and Training Award
For more information check out the link below:
SAGES Global Affairs Committee Chairs:
Horacio Asbun, MD (Chair)
Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville
Jeffrey W Hazey, MD (Co-Chair)
Ohio State University Medical Center
International Proctoring Course:
- September 1-13, 2013, Dharkhan & Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia